Saturday, February 13, 2010

Para Nosotros, Por Nosotros

To know Top Valu, is to love Top Valu.

Those of us lucky enough to live in barrios chidos like Lennox, East Los, Wilmas, Temple City, Inglewood, El Monte, Culver City, Lynwood or Whittier know just how awesome Top Valu and Valu Plus grocery stores can be, including the strip malls in which they are located.

Today, LA Naca will take you on a magical ride through the Culver City branch of Top Valu, ideally located between Mar Vista Gardens and, for those of you paying attention, Tacomiendo.

 
LA Seño calls this place "the 'hood market".  Guáchale.

  
Fruta de horno y pan dulce.  Not Top Valu's finest work, but if you're in a pinch, they got it.  Whatever you do, DON'T buy their bolillos.  Piedras tienen mejor sabor.

  
I once ate $3 worth of Top Valu chicharrones.  Hypertension is the best!

  
These jello cakes are interesting.  I have yet to try them, as I usually prefer cakes that don't wiggle.  Plus, LA Seño makes the best gelatina ever, so nothing anywhere in NacoLAndia can compare.

  
Ready-made salsas and guacamole, for the shameful.

  
Are these called churros or chicharrones?  I forget.  I hate them, anyway.

  
lalalalalalalalalalalala.

 
Espices!

  
Goya: so much more than creepy Jesus art.

Abuelita and Nesquik chocomil = Best. Aisle. Ever.  

Also, let it be known that LA Doctora, LA Santera, LA Messicana and I have been invited to an Abuelita-hosted pari en el centro.  I can't wait to post on that. 

I think I might take one of each of these galletitas to said pari.

  
Jarritos and cidral as far as the eye can see. Déjenme en paz, que aquí me quiero morir. 

No wait!
  
ADM.  Tostadas Guerrero.  Leave me here forever instead.  But you know, before I decide to get shipwrecked in the tostadas (a)isle.  I'm gonna need...

...crema ágria (I'm 100% sure the only difference between these two is the packaging.) y...

...un chingo de queso fresco.

Just very be careful when ordering cheese at the dairy counter or else you might find yourself yelling, "Bish, I said I want a 1/4 lb of Oaxaca!  How does that sound like Fresco to you? ¡Sácate el queso de las orejas, vieja!"

And while we're on the subject of leaving me on a deserted island...

 
It's not a pari without un chingo de chelas.

Top Valu has other brands of beer, but I'm not German, Japanese or from Fort Lauderdale, so they're worth mother to me.

  
Speaking of mothers...I get shivers up my spine every time I see the huge crate of corn husks.  

Tamales-making is sorely overlooked by Social Services as a form of child abuse.  LA Abogada and LA Doctora can attest to this, too. Speaking of corn products...

Grain hierarchy: the lowly pan de trigo, the just-for-norteños-y-gabachos tortillas de harina, then the almighty tortillas de maíz, all while the segregated white bread looks on from the north.

 ~

Top Valu is the FUBU of supermercados.  Puros paisas work there, puros paisas shop there.  Therefore, Top Valu offers great finds that no Vons, Albertsons or Whole Foods would ever carry.

  
I've never seen piñatas sold at Trader Joe's, or Chivas mascots, for that matter.

  
Ralphs might carry La Bella Durmiente and Rosita Fresita dolls, but Top Valu wins by carrying La Chilindrina.

  
All drugstores and supermarkets carry RID, but who is badass enough to carry MATAPIOJOS?  Ya sabes quien.

 
Even the Food 4 Less on Western and Venice only has a handful of velas on hand, plus, they're stored underneath the fruit section. ¡¿Qué es eso?! At Top Valu, velas are treated with respect.  You best believe I own one of each.

 Pozole bowls: when only the finest of china will do, especially when you're entertaining.

Speaking of which...

Entertainment at it's finest: Plaza Sésamo, Por tu Maldito Amor, Chivas USA y Capulina vs Las Momias.  Something for ever naco. I totally bought that last one. 

Now, mi gente, if I haven't successfully sold you on the wonders of Top Valu, maybe I'm not doing a good job, or maybe you're dead on the inside.  I don't know.  But here's where I whip out my greatest advertising ammo for you to visit your local mercado and fall in love with it as I have.

  
If you don't naturally have the same obsession with making guacamole as I do, you will at these prices.

Please note that if you're looking for fancy items such as Theraflu or deodorant, those are kept under lock and key, so make sure to ask one of the assistants to help you.

Top Valu...Keepin' it real for over 30 years in ghettos all over the southland.

Hasta mañana.

3 comments:

  1. GodDAMN it, I need to find where mi gente shop in San Jose - I just spent $1.25 on a single avocado in Trader Joe's - que verguenza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try this place and tell me what you find:

    http://www.yelp.com/biz/super-mercado-mexico-san-jose-3

    According to the reviews, the place seems a bit sketch, which sounds ideal. Good luck, Abogadita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to know what you yelped b/c I DID just spend $4 on fresas!

    ReplyDelete