Wednesday, December 2, 2009

¿Le Falta? ¡Le Faltaba!

There are two foolproof ways to avoid a hangover: abstain from drinking (although we all know that abstinence, of any kind, doesn't fly with LA Naca) or become a high-functioning alcoholic (andale!).

I gave up drinking for Lent once. Worst idea ever. Para aguantar la Cuaresma, necesito andar tomada constantemente por 40 días y 40 noches. Además, I really hate fasting.

What do hangovers and Lent have in common? CHILAQUILES. It's the cure for la cruda and meatless Fridays!

My friend LA Cora, partly paisa but mostly ghostly, calls them soggy nachos. Soggy. Nachos. This description is barely acceptable for someone with only one Mexican abuelita (de Juárez, esa). Clearly, it's not good enough for LA Naca. Oh, no. Neither is calling them migas. Tex-Mex doesn't have a place in my kitchen.

Anyway, here's the lowdown on chilaquiles: they're practically free and help clean out your fridge of leftovers! All you need are tortillas, salsa and cheese. If you want to step it up, feel free to add scrambled eggs, diced onions, sour cream and/or shredded chicken. I'm a traditionalist, therefore, I stick to my 3 ingredients, y eso es todo.

Receta:
  • Take a handful (a dozen is good for 2 people) of yesterday's tortillas, rip 'em in quarters and fry them up until they're nice and crispy. Now, instead of stale, cold tortillas, they're now delicious totopos, commonly known as corn tortilla chips.
  • Smother the totopos in whatever salsa you prefer. Lo que traes a la mano está bien. Si tienes rojo o verde o hasta mole, no importa--no somos racistas contra los chiles.
  • Cover the pan and let it all soak for a bit while you grate some queso. I use any semi-soft cheese like Jack or Asadero if Chente-endorsed Cacique Queso Fresco isn't available. (And even then, I'm muy contenta using Pepper Jack. Last time, it made hair grow on my chest!)
  • Once you're done grating about a handful's worth, sprinkle it on top, cover it, wait a few minutes until melted and voila! You got a masterpiece of a hangover breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner.  Whatever.  I'm not judging.

This recipe, taught to me by LA Doctora, is a very traditional way of making them.  Of course, batches will vary slightly, dependent upon salsas and cheeses available, but it's a sure-fire panza pleaser. TRUST.

Whatever you do, please don't make tortillas a mano, or fresh salsa for your chilaquiles.  It defeats the purpose.  The point is that they're cheap and easy, even while fighting a hangover, much like the author of this blog.  LA Naca says no to molcajetes.  Not for this recipe, anyway.  I will allow you to buy salsa and/or steal it from your mom's casa. Pero eso es todo. Solamente se usa lo que sobra en el refri.

Hablando de (des)madres, LA Seño, mi vieja, has an awesome recipe, too. But hers involves eggs and onions, unless she's making them just for me, which is pretty much never. But what I do love is that she serves chilaquiles with refried beans. Que paisa. ¿Pos de dónde crees que saqué mis nacadas si no de mi mami?

LA Seño's chilaquiles rojos:



She used leftover Tito's Tacos chips and salsa. She's a miracle worker in that she takes Americanized Mexican food and makes it so Mexican, it practically waves a bandera.  Sometimes, she skimps on the cheese, but as you'll see, I also have a cheese addiction.

P.S. That comal never leaves her stovetop. NEVER.


LA Naca's chilaquiles azules:



To commemorate the National League Division Series champions, I made my chilaquiles with Dodger blue corn tortillas, salsa verde and about 8 pounds of cheddar cheese. I was in an Ethier haze, y como que se me pasó la mano.  Meh.  It still tasted great.


Gabachos chilaquiles verdes:



No mouse, mickey! Además, ni me llena ese cacho de nada! Plus, let's keep it real. That looks too expensive to be real Mexican food.


Finally, I bring you this PSA on Quesos Mexicanos by Vicente Fernandez.  Watch as he eats your food and plays with your children, but doesn't even bother to sing to you.



Let the hangover-inducing activities commence!

Hasta mañana.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post! Your word choice is awesome. I didn't realize Chente did the Cacique commercials, though--how'd I miss this?

    ReplyDelete